Monday, June 16, 2008

I Can't Afford a 6-Pack of Hanes Panties... How Can I Afford a Baby?

U.S. News & World Report posted this Cosmo Magazine-like quiz about whether you can afford a baby. And guess what... I took it! It's kind of surprising that I subjected myself to the humilitation because just yesterday at Target I had to return a package of Hanes Panties (high-cut briefs, FYI) because I didn't have enough cash between that and nail polish. The latter won. Story of my life.

Anyhoo... here are the questions and my thoughts:

Do you have $5,000 to $10,000 worth of savings in the bank that could go toward baby-related costs?
All of my savings are going toward the fricking airfare and extra baggage charges just to get to the fricking damned country and to pay the fricking document fees. So.. my question back to you, Mr. Quiz, is do these monies count toward adoption fees or is this after-the-adoption? If it's the latter, I'm royally screwed.

Could you live on around $1,000 less a month, the average cost of child care? If you or your partner plans to stop working, can you support your lifestyle without that second income?
Partner?? Second income?? $1000 less a month??? Hooboy.. I needed that laugh.

Do you know the details of your workplace maternity or paternity policy?
Yes, and they are crap. I plan to file long-term disability as a result of all this adoption stress. But shhhhhh... don't tell.

Could you afford to add an additional dependent to your health insurance?
I believe this is what SCHIP, welfare, government cheese program is for.

Do you have an emergency fund that would cover at least three months of living expenses?
See previous answer.

Do you have life insurance and a will?
Yes.

Would you need to buy a new home or car before expanding your family?
No. I have no shame in moving back into my parents' house. Again.. this is a 'shhhhhh' issue. They haven't a clue.

Obviously the article/quiz wasn't written for adoptive parents and those of us dishing out over $40k. I think this quiz was meant for those who invest $1.99 on faulty condoms.

In any case, I still managed to score a decent score.

Click here to take the quiz.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a single adoptive mom of 2 girls from Haiti, I gotta agree, that quiz was worth a good laugh. I can't complain though as I did get 35 weeks of parental leave (yes, I am Canadian).

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous.

The funniest part is that they think childcare costs only about $1,000/month.

Not here in the SF freakin' bay area. Try twice that. Gah.

Stacey and Dewey said...

Frick and double frick frick, we have one from Guat and one from Kaz, I totally failed the quiz. But ya just can't beat government cheese :)

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I agree what a great laugh! Thanks for pointing us there!

hazel said...

Yup, belly laff from me by question #2. Your responses are dead on, Tash.

I subjected myself to the quiz too (against my better judgement) and squeezed out a whopping big 4. Apparently I'm 'on the right track but need to do some more planning' - KISS MY SWEET BLACK ARSE!!!

hazel said...

P.S. I would have kept the Hanes - I'm low on gonch.

RamblingMother said...

Girl, you crazy, girl

Tina said...

here's an idea - skip the briefs - go for a thong and work it girl - baby gonna need some money.

Heza Hekele said...

Invest $1.99 on faulty condoms... You have no idea how many people I know who could start their parenthood story with this line!

Suzanne said...

Oh great, I was doing fine until I read habeshachild's comment. Now I'm screwed, too. Maybe habeshachild and I should get married (It's legal in CA now, don't you know) just for the dual income and easy nanny-share. Only, I'm probably not tall enough and neither of us swings that way. Rats.

Vivian M said...

That was funny. Really, no one can afford kids nowadays. We're going for broke.

Matthew Ruley said...

I went to Walmart to buy stuff for my Kaz kids' bday party and all I could afford was the cake. No candles, no party favors.