Friday, June 15, 2007

Debunking the Myths

Myths While You Are Expecting
(which I am... it's just that she won't be coming out of my woowoo area)

Science and education have done much to debunk many myths about expecting a baby. However, many myths are still handed down from generation to generation. Here are the myths from mamashealth.com and my personal observations.

1. It is a myth that you can tell what gender your baby will be by the way you are carrying your child.
Uhhh... duh. When I start carrying her, I'll know it's a girl. I mean I have eyes after all. But I will admit that I carry boys the same way as girls. I tend to favor my right side although piggyback works too.

2. It is a myth that holding your hands above your head will strangle or wrap the baby’s umbilical cord around his or her neck.
Whew… you had me scared there for a minute doc. First of all, I don’t know when she was born (probably a year ago) so I can’t recall how much stretching I did at that point in time. Do you think the umbilical cord is still around her neck? It’s not like I really care but I have a weak gag-reflect and a rotted cord is not something I want to see in 6 months from now.

3. It is a myth that having sex while expecting harms the baby. Expecting women are encouraged to continue sexual relations. Your doctor will inform you if there should be a change in your sexual activities.
Good to know! And by ‘change in activities’ do you mean I need to ditch the S&M chains?

4. It is a myth that taking baths or submerging in water is harmful for the mother and baby.
My co-workers were beginning to complain about my lack of cleanliness. I’m relieved that I can go back to bathing. It’s been a while.

5. It is a myth that harm is brought to a baby if the mother sleeps on her back.
See # 3. I’m confused already. I thought I was encouraged to be on my back.

6. It is a myth that if an expecting woman has heartburn that her baby will have a head full of hair.
I’m going to have a gorilla at this rate.

7. It is a myth that a woman who has wide expanding hips while expecting will have a girl.
It’s the chocolate. And the double scoop ice cream. What do you expect?! I’m eating for two.

No comments: