Friday, March 14, 2008

Let's Shake Hands

I remember attending my first international adoption orientation that an agency was having to talk about their services and why they should be the agency of choice.

There's really only two things I remember about it. First, they had a lame snack table. Cookies from the frigging Dollar Tree. Hello... but if you want me to fork over my life savings and my sanity, you better be putting out the Pepperidge Farms cookies.

The other thing I remember was that they tried the scare tactic. They literally did scare the bejeezus out of me. They said that if was imperative to smuggle in a dressmaker's ruler (you know, the soft fabric kind that those little old biddies at Sears wear draped around their necks in the lingerie department to give you a bra fitting measurements). Once you had private time with the child, you were to quickly (when no one was watching), measure the child's head circumference, body length, etc. to email/fax over to the international adoption doctor back in the USA.

When I heard this, I basically choked on my cheap cookie. Oh hell to the no! The only thing I'm smuggling into the babyhouse is a Reese Peanut Butter Cup to hold me over in between meeting kids. What kid doesn't like the smell of lucious peanut butter and chocolate on their potential momma's breath. It's like heaven in a scent.

Anyhoo... it's too much responsibility for me to be worrying about head circumference and other things.

Then I heard about this new product called the Information Ring. According to the website: Handshake operates when people first meet and shake hands, and the rings on their fingers gain the proximity to operate. The rings exchange the users’ information and store it while the users are shaking hands. The more people met, the more information transferred. When the users browse through the people they have met, the card displays the basic information that was stored in the ring. The power source originates from the human body temperature, so no plug is required.

Now, if only they had that for the babies. I know this sounds clinical and untrusting, but it would be so much easier than smuggling in measuring tapes and remembering what to send to the doctors.

5 comments:

hazel said...

All that cloak & dagger stuff would have freaked me out too - along with the sub-par cookies.

I was ready to pass on the gizmo with the "information transfer function" but when I think about it as a dating aide - hmmm...

Susan said...

Measuring head circumference with a doc-provided measuring tape is really no biggie. Measuring the height (length) of a bewildered, uncooperative baby? Yeah, good luck w/that...I'd try the ring thing!

Annie said...

Have you stored all my information? Oy, the ring's probably on information overload by now!

Nancy said...

"fork over my life savings and my sanity" - I love it! THAT is what the brochures should say...just that.

RamblingMother said...

I am so getting one of those. So the other people have to have them too huh?