Monday, December 17, 2007

Teaching Our Kids Anatomy - Nature Style

If you're like me, you want your child to know about the human body and understand how it works. I was looking at some toys and realized that even though some are sophisticated (and by that I mean, it 'drinks' water and 'pees' it), they just don't tell kids about the body. I mean, look at Barbie, How the heck is she to be educating young kids. I mean, seriously, how do a kidney, liver, sm. and lg. intestines, spleen, stomach, bladder, and whatever else the hell we have inside of us fit into Barbie's 2 cm. waist??

So, I found this nifty educational toy. For starters, living out here in the midwest where my autumns are spent counting the number of dead deer on the side of the road and summers by trying to ride my bike fast enough to outpedal the stench of roadkill, this toy is perfect.

Also, this toy doesn't show anything my daughter's not going to see by just looking out the driveway. Furthermore, it could be a great learning toy to get her jump-started on a career as a vet.

I introduce to you, the Road Kill Toy. According to the website, "Our Squash-plush range looks like roadkill. Feels like roadkill. And tastes like roadkill. But they’re not. They’re plush toys. Very macabre plush toys. It’s the way we make them that makes them seem so real. The blood and guts and gore are made using the latest high-tech stuffing and plush, to give it quite a realistic squidgy effect.

The body and head and legs are made from specially sourced plush material, that gives them that tactile quality of mangy fur. The body is partly stuffed with beads, to give it extra dead weight. And unlike real roadkill it’s something you’ll want to take home and arrange on your bed."

You know, the fact that it 'tastes' like roadkill (whatever that means), might be a good way to teach kids not to put rancid meat into their mouths.

Just a thought.

7 comments:

Carissa said...

I am kind of surprised that someone in my family did not think this toy up, but how SICK.

ferenge mama said...

Mmmmm, roadkill. Tastes like chicken.

RamblingMother said...

And just how do they know what roadkill tastes like, hmmmmmm??? And how would we know they were correct? Hmmmmm?

Jocelyn said...

Seriously...do you work or do you spend all day looking for the craziest things to post about so you can entertain us?? I feel like we should be paying you for your troubles:-) I want the roadkill toy...does that make me weird:-)

Erica said...

Do we live in the same neighborhood? Growing up I could (and still can) distinguish a carcass just based on the smell. From possum, snake and deer, if I smell it, I can name it. Good to see that's what us mid-westerners are known for...animal carcass.

Headmeister said...

Is it creepy that I actually like this??? I see roadkill all*the*time. Believe it or not, last month I saw a guy pulled over to the side of the highway, messing with deer roadkill. I didn't know what he was doing until the next morning when I passed by it and it's head was gone - hacked clean off. Double "EEEW".

Leslie said...

Very disturbing! ;)