Wednesday, December 5, 2007

When I've Got the Baby Blues, I Eat a Pie

File this under one of the top 10 reasons why adoption beats out pregnancy.

The following is a trend that I'm soooo glad I'm missing out on. There's an alarming number of women who believe that one way of dealing with post-partum depression is for a new mom to eat her own placenta. The practice, placentophagy, seems to be a trend that's making strides. According to a story on MSNBC today, 80% of new moms suffer from post-partum depression, aptly named the "baby blues." The theory is that devouring the placenta helps them feel better but there are no studies on the efficacy of the practice for humans. "The placenta does produce estrogen and progesterone," says Mavis Schorn, the director of the nurse midwifery program at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. "So the theoretical idea is that it may help, but there's absolutely no research on it."

There's a whole Google category of recipe suggestions for the placenta.. things such as grinding it up and adding it to lasagne or use it as a pizza topping.

By the way, I've taken the liberty of uploading a picture of a human placenta... just so you know how gross it is. I mean, this is what some people are adding to their frigging pizzas!


I'd like to point out that there are studies that have proven that adoptive moms tend to suffer from post-adoption depression as well. It's been well-documented and some moms have even written about it.

However, I'd like to think that when they (or, soon to be 'we') get depressed, we take the high road and devour a box of tasty and chocolately Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs. And as we are eating them, we realize what funny names those delicious snacks are and laugh ourselves silly by abbreviating them and singing 'I'm a Ho eating a Dong.'

I guess how one battles post-partum or post-adoption depression is a personal choice. My preference would be with a pitcher of margaritas and a box of Ho Hos. Others, I suppose, would prefer to save womb for dessert.

Bottom line is that food is the answer to all of life's miseries.

18 comments:

Stacie said...

I've been using wine. But, my sister being a midwife - I have actually heard of this before. She didn't do it - but I think she knows people who have. After seeing the picture - count me out.

Headmeister said...

Holy crap - I freaking belly laughed long and hard at the "womb for dessert" comment. And yeah, I don't ingest anything that comes out of a human body. Unless of course, I happen to have some fava beans and a nice Chianti...

RamblingMother said...

Glad to see you got to the bottom line. Yes food solves all ills. I have no desire to see any part of my womb or produce anything from it, thus I adopted.

beverly

ferenge mama said...

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Jen said...

This could take away my favorite expression: Even bad pizza is good pizza.

Placenta Pizza? Gag! Whatever happened to burying it in the light of the moon to feed a tree?? Just more propaganda from the doesn't own a razor crowd.

Kelli said...

Nasty- of course, I will check out the recipes to satisfy my sick curiousity!

Suzanne said...

Would that be a thin crust placenta pizza or deep dish?
Jeeze, I just had pizza for lunch, and the only thing on it was mushrooms. No wonder I'm not feeling happier yet.

Ick,
Suzanne

Melissa said...

I have heard that the Amish who live in my area boil and eat the placenta. Yuck!

I'm with you--I'd rather be a ho eating a dong, even though my personal fav is twinkies!

Dianne said...

Ugh!! You've outdone yourself here. I think I just felt my breakfast in my mouth.

Yeah... this makes me totally ok with not giving birth.

Anonymous said...

OK...I had heard of this before. But I didn't know you could just cook it up and eat it!!! EWWWW!!! That's just downright disgustibating!!!!!!!

I HAD heard of people dehydrating it and having it put in capsules that they consume once or twice a day till they are gone.

But cooking it for NORMAL consumption? That's HORRIBLE!!! And I thought the idea of sticking it in a capsule was bad?!

Anonymous said...

I didn't eat it, but I do have a lovely picture of mine that my husband accidentally took when he was trying to snap a pic of our OBGYN. And that one ain't going in the baby book.

I think postpartum/adoption depression can be from being so damned exhausted you can barely bring yourself to drag your sorry butt out of bed. Forget how gross that thing is: can you imagine the kind of TIME it would take to cook that sucker? Who had that kind of time with a new baby? Geez. I mean, that's why friends bring over casseroles when you have a new baby.

Oh dear god. I hope none of those casseroles were..... ***AACK****!

Tami said...

wow........yuckkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!! no other words............

MB said...

AAAAAAHHHHH!!! OMG! That is SOOO nasty!!

crazylady said...

My virgin visit here, and you talk of eating placenta. Ni-hi-ice.

I may become a longterm addict here.

I draw the line at eating my own poo though. So lets stay away from that one. okay?

hazel said...

Uh, no thanks, I'm on a diet...

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked, i never heard of this. I'm with you though. Ho ho, Ding Dongs & margaritas!!!!

Matthew Ruley said...

This is reminescent of "fava beans and a bottle of chianti"... YUCK!

Sam said...

I just ate pizza and WOW that is gross. WOW