Friday, July 27, 2007

Another Circus Sideshow

I think I was just too flustered and snarkingly amused to come up with any witty come backs this morning after this exchange at the courthouse getting some papers authenticated.

Edna: Hey Irene. IREEEEENE. You gotta come here.

Irene: (taking her time and shuffling over)

Edna: What's the name of the place where Dolores got her kid? The funny sounding name.

Irene: Urscaclo (my note: ????)

Edna: This young lady here is getting one herself. Is it the same place, honey?

Me: Um.. no. I'm adopting from Uzbekistan.

Irene: Ooo weee. Dolores got her child in Louisiana.

Edna: Humph. Don't think I reckon no Ubeekstan. Countries are popping up like bunnies. Now isn't that where those nude male wrestlers are from? You know, we saw the movie.

Irene: Oh Borat. That's Ka-zee-hawk-i-stan. Is that right, dear?

Me: Yes, Ka-zee-hawk-i-stan.
Edna: Do you know the Parkers from Westlake? They are adopting from the Philippines.
Me: Um, no.

Edna: I need to see your ID and your husband's

Me: It's just me.

Edna: (long silence as she looks me over long and hard) Well, don't you lose hope. You're still cute enough.

Me: Oh. Um. Thanks.

I think I'm most flabbergasted about being cute enough to still wrangle a husband. *sigh*

6 comments:

Dianne said...

Ooooh. Dear.

Ange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ange said...

I thought things were bad enough when people ask me if I'm going to teach my Vietnamese baby all about China ;).

(that was my post that was deleted)

Stacie said...

WOWZA - that's a doozie.

Jen said...

Hmmm. Next time I head down there I will be sure to look for Irene and Edna. Maybe I can tell her all about the little VietCong we plan on bringing back into the states...

hazel said...

Philistines!

Nice to know you've still got your looks. And that 'getting a husband' is your main goal in life, obviously.