Monday, July 2, 2007

Sex, Lies and Videotapes

Okay.. so there's no sex and no videotapes. But there are plenty of lies. Actually, I wouldn't characterize them as 'lies' per se. But more like teeny, weeny fibs.

Most people who know me understand the Measurement by Melissa laws. It's a simple method of adding and/or subtracting. If I say 'oh the lake is only a block from my house' you can safely assume that it's a mile away. At least. In the case of 'there were at the very least 100 deer in my backyard,' there were most likely 3. Maximum.

So, when I created my timeline a month ago, it would seem as though my dossier would be in Uzbekistan by now. You can rest assured that it isn't. In fact, it's on my dining room table. In a fire-proof, water-proof steel container nonetheless. But still on my dining room table.

I originally said that my dossier would be completed on July 1. Well... it's July 2 and I have the medical part left and I'm still waiting for my passport renewal.

This medical portion of the dossier has been killing me. My insurance doesn't cover various things such as STD testing for adoption purposes or TB testing. Some doctors are not on my plan so I've had a miserable time trying to find a local doctor that could squeeze me in sometime this year. Seriously.

When it comes right down to it, the paperwork needed for the dossier isn't much. References, financial statements, employment verification, birth certificates, passports, medical clearance and a few other things are the norm for any adoption domestic and international. It's all a matter of scheduling and making sure all the 'i's are dotted and the 't's are crossed. And then making sure it's notarized by someone from your county and with a commission that doesn't expire within the next 2 years.

So as of today, I plan to have my dossier completed THIS WEEK (for realizzle, people) and assuming I get my passport, I'll take my papers to the county courthouse next week to be authenticated. Then it's off to Columbus to be apostilled. By mid-July, it's off to the Uzbek embassy.

This time it's for real.
Seriously.

Who am I kidding?
With my luck, the doc is going to cancel on me tomorrow.

3 comments:

Chris & Christy said...

You are way tooo funny! I just love reading your posts! Good Luck w/ that darn Dossier, I would totally agree with you that at the beginning of the Dossier it seems that all will just roll by and be complete w/in weeks, but in actuality it takes about twice the time you expect. I did finally publish on my blog again too, sorry I have been consumed thus a slacker!

Christy

walternatives said...

IMO, the paperchase is The Most Tedious part. Fingers crossed that your dr.'s appointment goes smoothly!

Valerie said...

Funny! Apparently you and my sister are seperated at birth, cause she uses the same system!

As for you and I --- I'm in the same boat with my dossier for Russia. My stinkin' HMO is killin' me!