Thursday, July 26, 2007

You had me at the 'ban on parking ticket' bit

Ohhh... who will my daughter aspire to be? Will she want to be like me? Sally Ride? Susan B. Anthony?

Here's an example of a young girl in a foreign country aspiring to be like a woman who ran for office in London. Sounds promising. Sounds like a leader, a visionary. But it's, um, Jordan (aka Katie Price). You may remember her - During the June 7, 2001 British General Election, Jordan ran as a candidate using the slogan: 'For a Bigger and Betta Future'. As part of her election campaign she promised free breast implants, increases on nudist beaches, and a ban on parking tickets.

You may also know Jordan as a model. According to Wikipedia, "Although she was already a well-established model, with frequent appearances on Page 3 and in men's lifestyle magazines, Jordan still had a feeling of insecurity about her breast size, and believed that implants would look better. Her cup size increased from a B to a D. Jordan appeared in six volumes of Playboy's Book of Lingerie and has also graced the covers of FHM, Maxim, Nuts, Front, Zoo Weekly, Sky, Esquire, Loaded and Ice magazines."

((My note: there's a magazine called Nuts????))

Anyhow.. back to the young girl.


Sasha Bennington (pictured above) of the UK wants to be just like Jordan. She is only 11 and gets spray-tanned once a week, gets fake nails done once a month, bleaches her hair blonde, gets hair extensions and plucks her eyebrows.

“I’m obsessed with Jordan. I want to be a model like her when I grow up. I want to be famous and get loads of money.”

What does her mother think of all of this? She's ok with it and thinks that those who have a problem with it are just jealous. Jayne, the mother, said, “They’re just do-gooders who probably have fat kids that they can’t do anything with. We’re a good-looking family — she can’t help being good-looking. I just want her to use it to achieve something.”

Sasha already has body issues at the age of 11. She said, “I just want to be pretty because then people will like me. I think I’m fat, everyone else says I’m not, that I’m as skinny as a twig. I worry about what I eat. I don’t want to put on weight and then not be able to lose it.”

Jayne also thinks it's ok for her daughter to show a little skin and dress the way she does. She also allows Sasha to decorate her room with the PLAYBOY bunny logo “Sasha likes the bunny. I don’t think she sees it as anything erotic but she knows Jordan modelled for Playboy and thinks that’s cool.”

Oh Jayne, Jayne, Jayne. What scares me is that Sasha just might be the next Jordan. And seriously honey, that's NOT a good thing.

2 comments:

hazel said...

...or the next Britney Spears...

How frightening. Somebody shoot the mother.

Jo said...

Yikes....