Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pass on the Gift of Learning.. Buy a Book

A blogging buddy of mine is doing this awesome project from the country of her daughter - Guatemala.

Check out Vanessa's blog. She's the Oprah of blogging.

She's an adoptive mom of a fantastic child from Guatemala. She's got this great project going on - an online Osbourne book sale for the Tierra Linda school in Guatemala. She will be delivering the books there herself. The sale will close at midnight on January 20th.

Please help her in this project and help get the word out because the school can earn free books for people ordering. Plus, you can even donate spanish titles to the school and the school will receive the donated books as well as the free books!!

Here's what inspired Vanessa, in her own words: "I adopted my sweet little girl from Guatemala and seeing the poverty there has really tugged at my heart strings to help as much as I can. I figured an education will have a lasting affect so this trip will be focused on the school!! I'm doing the book sale and I'm also collecting school supplies to ship down and I'm hoping for a wonderful turn out!! Last year they had 250 children registered and a mere 6 books for them to use!! It just amazes me that was all they had!! Some of the children sit on the floor and the teacher's didn't have desk or shelving in the classroom!!! I just can't imagine having to send my child to a school like that!!"

6 comments:

Jen said...

When I was in Honduras, we operated a health clinic out of a school. The classroom did not have chairs, just a teacher's desk and some cubbies filled with broken crayons and old books. It can really remind you how much we take for granted.

hazel said...

What a wonderful idea!

Carissa said...

Thanks for sharing Tasha and what a wonderful idea!

Kelli said...

What a great idea! I got your recent comment on my blog- I am not in Ohio, Indiana. So if you ever find yourself near the cornfields, let me know!

Vanessa said...

Tasha, Thanks for posting about this for me!!! Your kindness is very appreciate and I will be sure to let you know what the grand total is!!
Hugs,
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Every time I went to China to fetch ANOTHER child, I brought books in Chinese to donate to the orphanage.
I already found 2 books in Spanish to send to Vanessa. LOVE LOVE LOVE this kind of project.