Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Like the Invisible Fence and SCRAM Mixed as One


I love me those Invisible Fence collars. It's so cool to see the dogs running around free and then going all spasmatic when it crosses the boundaries of the Invisible Fence. I also know that the Hollywood trend now is the SCRAM (alcohol monitoring) bracelet. It's like, all the rage.

I remember as a teenager back in the 80s the debates on The Phil Donahue show about the pros and cons of kid leashes. I always found them kind of cool in a Planet of the Apes kind of way.

However, now that I am about to be a parent, I know the general feeling of complete nervousness that occurs every time my child will just up and run off in a public place. I can just picture Detectives Stabler and Benson showing up at my doorstep.

So I decided to do some research and found that there's a technological alternative to the kid leash. It's the In-Reach Child Tracking System. This device has an ankle bracelet that is reminiscent of those under house arrest or parole. There is a child sensor belt for the parent.

Apparently, you set a boundary for your kids so that if they go outside it, an alarm will sound. This boundary can be as low as 10 feet or high as 300 feet.

So now baby will be safe and mommy will look trendy with her faux SCRAM belt.

6 comments:

RamblingMother said...

I have to say the invisible fence saved my and my dog's life, because I was gonna kill her for digging out of the fence. Such a creative dog to get out.

beverly

Susan said...

Umm...wouldn't it help to know in what DIRECTION your child has permeated the child-snatching department store crowd? C'mon, I want a screen like Air Traffic Control!

(Also, as a city girl, I need to keep my little bundle of energy out of the street...so maybe that invisible shock thing would be more appropriate? Zap! Yikes).

Tami said...

Can I try that with you first to see if it really works? LOL

Anonymous said...

I love the idea BUT am not real sure that it really would work!

Stacie said...

I want to be there when you & tami try it out. that should be fun!

And, to answer to your comment on the recent video and my house appearing clean - those baseboards look clean only through the miracle of technology. They are definitely NOT clean (ever) - I HAVE 3 DOGS - that's all I'm going to say. (Well, I'm going to add that I'm glad they looked clean at least!)

:)

"M2" said...

maybe a gps device would be better for direction???

any gadget so we don't have to engage with or watch our kids is a big seller. kinda sad. Though kids do wander and I can see where if this works, it would be a good safety measure unlike the oh so necessary dvd player in the car
though I probably will have a leash.