Friday, February 1, 2008

I Shouldn't Complain - My Barbies Had to Do Much Filthier Things


It's pretty much a given that our girls will be on welfare by age 20 because of the Fashion Fever Barbie Boutique that features a built-in credit card swiper and a life-size credit card for young children to use when buying outfits and accessorieis for their dolls. According to the Amazon website, "Once the balance hits zero, it will reset so you can continue to shop."

But Barbie took it one step further by introducing The Barbie 2-in-1 party Plane & Ship, marketed for girls ages 3 to 8, and comes with martini glasses, bar stools and a disco scene (pictured, right). That's right... 3 years old!

On the one hand, this generation of Barbies teaches girls about the importance of getting a sugar daddy for mommy because without that, there's no party plane or ship. And for the boozing, well, mommy could enjoy a drinking buddy.

I guess this beats the Barbies that I played with. They wore Daisy Duke shorts and halter top and frequented seedy bars. And if I recall correctly, there were some back alleys and dollar bills involved.

But with The Barbie 2-in-1 party Plane & Ship, our baby girls can learn about high styling.

14 comments:

crazylady said...

Hmmm I shaved my Barbies heads and drew on their face with magic markers... isn't that the sign of psychotic tendencies?
Nah...look at me now,perfectly maladjusted.

Nancy said...

My poor babies are going to be SO disappointed - no martini glasses around here for 3 year olds. Signed, Mean Mama

Vivian M said...

Wow, my Barbies were always naked. Guess my Mom couldn't afford clothes? Or maybe we just had the Nudist Colony Barbie doll.

RamblingMother said...

"On the one hand, this generation of Barbies teaches girls about the importance of getting a sugar daddy for mommy because without that, there's no party plane or ship. And for the boozing, well, mommy could enjoy a drinking buddy."

DAMN STRAIGHT!!

Beverly

Suzanne said...

This is way cooler than Polly Pocket's Groovy Getaway Jet. All she has are coffee mugs. Pfffttt!

Suzanne said...

This is way cooler than Polly Pocket's Groovy Getaway Jet. All she has are coffee mugs. Pfffttt!

-Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, my Barbies had a Winnebago! That's much better than some stupid cruise ship! Right?

MB said...

"Once the balance hits zero, it will reset so you can continue to shop."

hmm. Can Barbie be so kind as to do the same with my credit card?

Headmeister said...

In reference to this:

"On the one hand, this generation of Barbies teaches girls about the importance of getting a sugar daddy for mommy because without that, there's no party plane or ship. And for the boozing, well, mommy could enjoy a drinking buddy."

It's why I adore you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for a visit..I look forward to following your journey as well.

Snowflowers Mum said...

bloody hell...I wonder when they will come out with 'the real housewives of orange county' barbies?

Have you seen that train wreck?

who knew that real life Barbies are alive and well and livin the dream in SoCal!

H

Andrea said...

Too Funny!!

Anonymous said...

Here is a pastime I developed once I became a mom. This is a deep, dark secret and so don't go telling everyone that I do this.

Usually when I'm at Target or some other soul-sucking store, I walk down the barbie aisle and I make up shall we say alternative names and job titles for them.

Like, I'll look at the one who's rockin' the micro mini, platform spiked heels, plunging v-neck and lots of bling and I'll think, "Hi, I'm Cheesy Ho barbie." When I get to the Bratz section or the My Scene section, then it's "Hi, I'm your bitch, bitch..."

It's my little way of cracking myself up. Then I go to the diaper section and stock up.

Jen said...

And I thought my 1970's barbie hot tub and waterbed were bad...Do we still get the corvette with t-tops?