Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Your Kids Will Pay for My Kid's Welfare Checks

Fashion Fever Barbie Boutique has just hit the markets in time for the holidays! Ladies and gentlemen (okay.. gentleman as there really is only one guy who reads this blog, if any. You still here Greg?) get ready to have your kids pay for my kid's welfare checks.

'Why?' do you ask? Well, it's simple. The fabulous Fashion Fever Barbie Boutique features a built-in credit card swiper and a life-size credit card for young children to use when buying outfits and accessorieis for their dolls. According to the Amazon website, "Once the balance hits zero, it will reset so you can continue to shop."
So you see.... my kid will not learn the art of having to budget because, dammit, the Fashion Fever Barbie Boutique's credit card miraculously never has a limit.

Of course, it would be the responsible thing if Mattel introduces the "Dang, I Effed Up My Credit Score" Barbie playset, where Barbie spends her entire paycheck on second-hand 'gently used' furniture and clothing while trying to make the minimum payments on her dozen or so 30% interest rate cards. There's really no need to include the 1-800 number for the Consumer Credit Advocates because, get real now, this is Barbie. Once her credit score hit 300 or so the playset would probably just bump it back up to 800.

Responsibility is not something pretty girls should have to worry about.

12 comments:

ferenge mama said...

oh my LORD, this is scarier than almost any toy I've ever seen.

Bring on Standing in the Welfare Line Barbie.

Stacie said...

I saw this on tv and thought the same thing - scary!

Oh - and the shirt says "Cash" We think as in "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" but we're not sure - I'll have to ask my brother about that!

Angela said...

I have been laughing at the commercial for this for days. My plan had been to blog about it, but you beat me to the punch. By the way, I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

This is so scary. I saw this on tv and was going to blog about it too. but once again, you said it so much better than i would have..

RamblingMother said...

I like the "dang I effed up my credit" one. Good idea, quite right, good idea!!

Beverly

hazel said...

Wow, first I've heard of it.

"The Shopping Boutique Playset comes with three outfits, including shoes and sunglasses, and the rotating pole can hold up to 20 clothing and accessory pieces."

I think we all know which pole the girls will grow up to use (on stage)! I wonder if they can buy the clear, plastic high heels on never ending credit, too.

Leslie said...

OMG I just saw this commercial too and thought it was appalling! It resets to 0 once you hit your maximum--if only!

Jo said...

Maybe next Christmas Mattel can come out with a game that teaches kids how to live on Welfare and drive a new Lexus!!

Anonymous said...

I think I need to start watching commercials again! And this toy is NUTS...why would they do this? Doesn't this society realize children already have an issue with instant gratification?

Melissa said...

Can I get one of those credit cards that resets to zero as soon as it is maxed out?

Tracey said...

This sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit, not a real toy. How scary is that?! What's next, Repo Man Ken?

Sharon said...

Tasha! You are priceless!!!!! Might I share this with the ladies on my forum?