Thursday, November 29, 2007

When Recycling Ideas Go Bad

I'm all for recycling and saving the planet. I plan to teach my daughter the value of recycling and hope to ensure she lives a green-friendly life. But the following is just, for a lack of better words, frigging disgusting.

The latest hair trend in China? Used condoms!

Condoms are being recycled into hair elastics in Southern China because, well, they're super cheap. And if you thought that was gross, wait till you hear this: Health officials say there is a considerable risk for transmitting bacteria, HPV, or HIV through oral contact (when girls put the elastic in their mouths when gathering their hair for a ponytail) or through open wounds on fingers (from nail biting, paper cuts, etc.).

Okay... I just have to ask... how does one recycle used condoms? Do you put them in the blue container to leave out curbside for weekly pick up? After getting-it-on with a lady friend, does the guy say 'honey, don't mind the smell of rotting used condoms I have in my recycling bin, it was a holiday this week so trash pick up isn't until next Friday. Sorry luv.'

I dunno about this concept. I'm leaning toward shaving my daughter's hair so she won't need hairbands or resorting to using latex (oops.. I hope these are made from recycled used condoms) gloves when putting them in her hair.

Why is motherhood getting harder and harder by the day? Toys being recalled, food being tainted, and now hairbands.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aargh. WHY?!?!

Erica said...

Tasha,

Your blog is so funny! Thanks for stopping by mine. I have to wonder, does the package of hair bands say they are recycled? The next time I'm shopping for copy paper, I'm going to wonder if it was made of recycled Kleenexes....

Leslie said...

That is quite disturbing! At least the condom dresses (http://ahboon.net/2007/07/19/condom-fashion-show-in-china/) don't appear to be recycled...

Carissa said...

That is just WRONG!

Tami said...

That is just gross! See why we should buy made in America and pay $20 for one hairband.

Jen said...

damn. hope there is some sort of sterilization process. Can you imagine the poor workers braiding used condoms into hair elastic? UGH!

Anonymous said...

Eeeek!! That's horrifying!!!


Maribeth
www.chickadeeandme.wordpress.com