Monday, September 17, 2007

Um, Is It Really a Life Changing Moment?

When I shave my legs, it's a non-event. Or a curse-ridden event. Depending on the number of nicks I have. But according to Stacey Feldman, vp of marketing for Nair, “when a girl removes hair for the first time, it’s a life-changing moment.”

I seem to have missed out on that life changing moment.

In any case, enough about me. Let's talk about how Nair will give my daughter her life changing moment in 10 years.

Nair introduced Nair Pretty, a line aimed at 10- to 15-year-olds or, in industry parlance, “first-time hair removers.”

“I am a citizen of the world,” reads the Nair ad copy aimed at young girls. “I am a dreamer. I am fresh. I am so not going to have stubs sticking out of my legs.”

Oh yeah, evidently moms are just as eager to pimp their daughters. “(Young girls) were actually having hair removal slumber parties, where the moms were going out and buying the products for the teens to remove their hair,” he said.

Oh shit. I hope they're talking about leg hair.

1 comment:

Jen said...

um yeah...a few words on Nair...smells bad...doesn't work...and IT BURNS.

And how does this make us worldly when most women "out in the world" don't bother to obsess about leg hair when they have better freaking things to do???

I hope that Tasha tackles this subject in her memoirs :)