Monday, August 27, 2007

Safe Enough for Baby but Will Kill Mommy

This adoption process is confusing enough! Now as I'm actually preparing for baby, I'm more confused than ever. Just this month there was the hassle of recalled toys and yesterday as I'm buying products for my precious babe, I came across the following tidbit by the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group:

"Sprinkling underwear with talcum powder may increase the risk of ovarian cancer in women, researchers say. "We confirmed a statistically significant increase in ovarian cancer risk associated with use of talc in the pelvic region," say the researchers, who are from hospitals and centres taking part in the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group."

So here's my question: if women shouldn't be putting in it their underwear, should we still be using this stuff on babies?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There're a lot of products marketed for babies that just aren't good for them. Most pediatricians don't recommend using any powders or lotions. We actually found out that Dove or Caress is better than baby soaps because my daughter had eczema. I probably would never have realized how harsh the baby stuff is if she hadn't had this condition. I think our doctor also recommended eucerin or lubriderm lotion instead of baby lotions (because she needed a moisturizer). The baby stuff has a lot of fragrance that's irritating. Also beware baby wipes and bubble bath (especially bad for girls!). Hope this helps. Jennifer http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=14

Jen said...

I've heard you should use products with cornstarch, not talc if wanting to powder a babe's butt.

Anonymous said...

Just FYI...it is not recommended to use baby powder on babies because if they breathe in too much of the powder (which is inevitable) it could get stuck in their lungs and they could suffocate.

Also, about the cornstarch vs. talc...cornstarch feeds yeast so if the diaper rash more closely resembles a yeast infection rather than just a regular rash, cornstarch will exacerbate the problem. Ultimately I believe the best cure for diaper rash is to change babies regularly (on a fairly frequent schedule so they aren't wet for too long), bathe them as quickly as possible and then dry them off well (avoid trapping moisture in the diaper area), and, when necessary use pediatrician recommended diaper ointments (my personal favorite has always been Triple Paste-although expensive it comes in rather large quantities and cures the rash so quickly with such a small amount that it really ends up lasting for quite a long time).

Hope I provided more info than just create a wave of hysteria. Like Jennifer eluded to, it's amazing the products marketed for babies that are really just not safe. Good grief...how is anyone supposed to know anymore???

Stacie said...

OMGOODNESS! I've been powdering Micah!! Woosh- I just checked - no talc (some fancy-schmancy organic brand) but now to find out he could suffocate. Sheesh. I'm more confused now.