Wednesday, August 8, 2007

That Was Then. This Is Now.

When I was 9 and wasn't picked to be on, who I thought was my best friend.. on her hopscotch team, I may also have written her name in chalk on my sidewalk saying she was a dum-dum. Bottom line, my ego was hurt.

When I was 19 and the guy who said he would call me tomorrow after a promising date and didn't, I may have written his name in a Sharpie on the bathroom wall saying he was a jerk. (I feel saying for young kids now with MySpace, YouTube, blogs, etc. Hell hath no fury....) Bottom line, my heart was broken.

When I was 29 and the CEO who said I was perfect for the job and after three interviews didn't call me back, I may have written a few negative comments about them in chat rooms. Bottom line, my pride was crushed.

Now that I'm 39 and my homestudy social worker has not filed and apostilled my homestudy report, there is no 'may have' but a 'will definitely do.' I'm calling the BBB and notifying members of Ohio International Adoption groups to be wary of your organization. This isn't my pride, my ego or my heart you're messing with. This is my child.

You have all my paperwork. You've had them for three months now. They've been signed and notarized. I need them to send to Uzbekistan and Homeland Security. The homestudy report is 3/4 of what grants me permission from Homeland Security to adopt an international orphan. It's also what the Uzbekistan government bases my qualification as a parent.

Your organization came highly recommended. You've done homestudy for numerous families and even built a playground in Kazhkstan, where you personally adopted a daughter. As an adoptive mother, you must know the imperativeness of getting my homestudy filed. Like everything else, it comes with an expiration date.

I called you every single day last week. Once you were on another line and were to call me back. I called you every single day this week. I sent email. Not once have you returned a single call or replied to a single email. I don't care how busy you are. Be professional and return a phone call.. even to say 'hey, I got your message but I'm busy.' For crying out loud, this is just common business sense.

I know you are already done with my report. You told my agency. That was a month ago. You still have not filed it. It's gotten so bad that my representative at the adoption agency is driving out to your office tomorrow to retreive all my paperwork and if it's not signed, she'll have another social worker take over.

I will not give you the power to keep my child in an orphanage any longer. I will not give you the power to delay my journey to motherhood.

I'll be damned if you think I'm going to be quiet about this and let you think this is normal.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That is ridiculous! I am sorry you are going through this. It is not fair. I don't understand some people...she's adopted before, she knows the importance of the home study. What's the deal? I'm glad to hear someone is driving their to retrieve your docs! What a witch! Keep us posted.

Dianne said...

That bites. I'm glad you're taking the next step and giving the job to someone who will hopefully be much more professional.

Jen said...

Good for you! We had a few snafus with our SW too, what is the deal with them? Not in to follow through?

Tasha Kent said...

Jen, the snafu is that she's been sitting on my homstudy for 3 months and is not returning my phone calls or those of my agency. I don't know why. I know that her agency is hosting a few kids from Colombia this summer for potential adoption. She could be busy with that but in any case, it's common business sense to return phone calls.

barbara and david said...

ditto to all of the above, and you can be on my hopscotch team anytime

hazel said...

That really is crap. There is no excuse. To have not even returned your calls is the final slap in the face. She has no right to do that to you. I hope you get results soon!!

Anonymous said...

We have had similar problems with our SW, so i really feel where you are coming from. I have been harrassing our SW to no end and finally got my hands on the final home study on Wed. and this had been going on since mid- May. I hope you give her hell!