Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What's a Substitute for Mutton Fat?

I'm researching all about Uzbek cuisine and learning to prepare meals, salads, breads, soups, appetizers and desserts from the area.

I figured I'd start with dessert because those are usually the easiest to prepare.

Here's a recipe:

Un Talkon

150 g or 5/8 mutton fat
500 g or 3 3/4 cups flour
200 g or 1 1/4 cups sugar

In a pan, heat flour in oil until brown. When lumps are worked out of the flour transfer to a dish and cool. Mix in sugar well. Serve with tea at breakfast.

It didn't give the nutritional value but I can't imagine there's much fat or calories. It's only 3 ingredients. I'm going to say 25 calories, 2 grams fat, 4 grams carbohydrates.

5 comments:

Ange said...

Is there nothing you can make with Chocolate?

hazel said...

...and at least 3g of dietary fibre...unless you're using white flour of course...

yum

barbara and david said...

get yourself to the lard section of the supermarket. nothing like pig fat when there's no mutton to be had.

GDS said...

Hmm - maybe you could find a better substitute for Un Talkon instead.

Megan said...

Hi- I'm a lurker from Dianne's blog!
I'd ask your friendly butcher for the mutton fat. How experimental of you! Good luck :)